Saturday, February 18, 2006

Dougie MacLean Concert

Letha and I spent this evening together eating sushi at this hole-in-the-wall-not-too-shabby sushi place right down the street from the Hollywood Theater. The food was excellent and we split 3 rolls (half of which were raw), had miso and a less-chunky-than-Kojis Green Tea. We laughed at ourselves a lot, talked about our weeks, when Brian was due back and her Oracle testing, which BTW she passed with flying colors!!

Our plan of course for eating at this specific restaurant was that it was within walking distance of the Dougie MacLean concert that I have been counting down the days to see. This is the concert where I slept with my tickets at night under my pillow and abandoned Jason to the shuttle to find his own way home to go see. Now, this would have been a really good plan if it wasn't 22 degrees outside, not mentioning the wind chill factor. I called Letha from the theater and found out that she was already seated for dinner and then made a run for it... a whole block and a half. It was not just cold, it was frigid! I cursed a couple of times, remembered that I had a groovy scarf at home that Brian (Alanus' Beau) picked out for me, and that that would have been clever to bring. Needless to say, it was moot now! Then, after dinner, we had to walk back!

The concert was fantastic! Dougie sings about songs about being where you are and who you are, and how we are similar to each other in the human experience in an age of music that really emphasizes looking for yourself somewhere else and how we don't fit in. His songs about the death of a loved friend, being able to see clearly only up on the mountain and the way that we feel so near to the world as we sit with our friends and experience life together really tug on our inner vision of what the world is like or at least should be like.

Needless to say, I bought 2 CDs and stood in line to have him sign it, and then I was all tongue tied when I got there! I smiled, handed him my CD's and was like, HEY TERRADON, SAY SOMETHING!! And what came out of my mouth? "Hi!" I couldn't remember anything that I wanted to ask, say or anything! Letha let me know I was a freak as we walked out of the building. I imagined us having babies together. *grin*

So the concert was fantastic. In looking at his website, I'm trying to imagine how I can see him perform in Scotland. God I am such a fan girl! I have never done this before!

No comments: